[Wtr-development] Two Types of Dialogs

Ethan notethan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 15:27:25 EDT 2010

Bret

> showModalDialog = Watir#modal_dialog. It is one kind of dialog, that is
> only supported by IE. Watir has unique support for this kind of dialog.

Vapir has a consistent API for dealing with showModalDialog windows across
IE and firefox ( http://github.com/vapir/vapir/wiki/Modal-Dialogs ), which
I've mentioned on this list before, to some discussion that didn't really go
anywhere. For IE, only ruby 1.8 is supported as it relies on the same
WIN32OLE extensions as watir - fixing this is a matter of compiling it for
1.9, and preferably not including a copy of the rest of WIN32OLE in the same
file (since WIN32OLE has changed somewhat between 1.8 and 1.9). On other
ruby versions, Vapir falls back to the included WIN32OLE and simply doesn't
have IE support for showModalDialog dialogs. I don't see why this would
belong in a different gem. Watir just needs to get a decent API and
implementation down - I've suggested before (talking to Charley, if I recall
correctly) that this would be good code to merge into Watir from Vapir.

-Ethan