[Wtr-development] A solution for JavaScript dialogs in Watir

Jari Bakken jari.bakken at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 12:38:26 EDT 2010

watir-webdriver has a decent Ruby API for this as an optional require:

http://github.com/jarib/watir-webdriver/blob/master/lib/watir-webdriver/extensions/alerts.rb

Feel free to use it in Watir. I might change it when WebDriver provides its
own solution though.

Den 29. okt. 2010 kl. 21:23 skrev Bret Pettichord <bret at pettichord.com>:

You can add the technique to this page:

http://wiki.openqa.org/display/WTR/JavaScript+Pop+Ups

Bret

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 11:42 PM, Alister Scott <alister.scott at gmail.com>wrote:

> I forgot to mention, I can't get this working in Firefox, only IE at the
> moment.
>
> Cheers,
> Alister
>

> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 12:16 PM, Alister Scott <alister.scott at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> One of the guys I am working with setting up Cucumber and Watir on a
>> ThoughtWorks project told me about a way to get rid of the pesky JavaScript
>> dialogs that cause Watir scripts to be unstable. It involves overriding the
>> JavaScript function to always return true, so the dialogs never appear.
>>
>> I wrote an example for Watir:
>>
>> require 'rubygems'
>> require 'watir'
>> b = Watir::Browser.start "
>> http://www.sislands.com/coin70/week1/dialogbox.htm"
>> b.execute_script "window.confirm = function() { return true; }"
>> b.execute_script "window.alert = function() { return true; }"
>> b.execute_script "window.prompt = function() { return true; }"
>> b.button(:value => 'confirm').click
>>

>> What do you think of this? Is it worthwhile putting this out for Watir
>> users to see and use?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Alister Scott
>> Brisbane, Australia
>> Watir Web Master: http://watir.com
>> Blog: http://watirmelon.com
>> LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/alisterscott
>>
>> "There are two ways to get enough: One is to continue to accumulate more
>> and more. The other is to desire less." *~ G. K. Chesterton*

Bret Pettichord
Lead Developer, Watir, www.watir.com

Blog, www.io.com/~wazmo/blog
Twitter, www.twitter.com/bpettichord