[Wtr-development] A solution for JavaScript dialogs in Watir

Bret Pettichord bret at pettichord.com
Fri Oct 29 11:35:51 EDT 2010

Yes, this is what Selenium has done from day one (which is why
ThoughtWorkers know about it). It, in fact, is the only way that Selenium
can handle these.

There are pros and cons to using this technique. But no reason not to share
with people. Some testers will be disturbed when they learn it eliminates
the dialogs entirely. I don't use it personally, because I have other
methods that work.

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 9:16 PM, Alister Scott <alister.scott at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
> One of the guys I am working with setting up Cucumber and Watir on a
> ThoughtWorks project told me about a way to get rid of the pesky JavaScript
> dialogs that cause Watir scripts to be unstable. It involves overriding the
> JavaScript function to always return true, so the dialogs never appear.
> I wrote an example for Watir:
> require 'rubygems'
> require 'watir'
> b = Watir::Browser.start "
> http://www.sislands.com/coin70/week1/dialogbox.htm"
> b.execute_script "window.confirm = function() { return true; }"
> b.execute_script "window.alert = function() { return true; }"
> b.execute_script "window.prompt = function() { return true; }"
> b.button(:value => 'confirm').click
> What do you think of this? Is it worthwhile putting this out for Watir
> users to see and use?
> Cheers,
> Alister Scott
> Brisbane, Australia
> Watir Web Master: http://watir.com
> Blog: http://watirmelon.com
> LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/alisterscott
> "There are two ways to get enough: One is to continue to accumulate more
> and more. The other is to desire less." *~ G. K. Chesterton*

Bret Pettichord
Lead Developer, Watir, www.watir.com

Blog, www.io.com/~wazmo/blog
Twitter, www.twitter.com/bpettichord