[Wtr-development] Watir 1.6.7 final released

Bret Pettichord bret at pettichord.com
Tue Oct 26 22:53:45 EDT 2010

This weekend I started updating Watir so that it could be configured to use
either a one or zero-based index. You turn on zero-indexing using this
command:

   Watir.origin = 0

I am doing this work right now on a topic branch (I didn't want to interfere
with the 1.6.7 release) and with your consent will merge it into master when
it is complete.

I have a number of tests working with the origin so far, but there are lots
of hidden places where this has an effect (iterators, tables). I expect this
will be done in a week or two or so.

Appreciate your comments on this. Work in progress is here:

http://github.com/bret/watir/commits/zero-index

It seems like there is a pending interest in making a release that removes
support for some deprecated features. That would need to be a 1.7.0 release
-- to hold to the semantic naming, as I would like.

I would like like to release the configurable-index-origin feature in a
release that does not change the default. However, in a later release, I
think we will want to change Watir to use a zero-based origin.

Today, at the office, we were also looking at using Watir with a newer
version of Ruby. We are using Ruby 1.8.6 p287 (IIRC). Not sure entirely what
is holding us from using the latest version of 1.8.6 or 1.8.7. Are we still
running into problems with the Win32 gems? Is anyone using Watir's
showModalDialog support with a newer version of Ruby? Any way, I'd like to
see if I can get this sorted out.

Bret

Bret Pettichord
Lead Developer, Watir, www.watir.com