[Wtr-development] automatic waiting?

Bret Pettichord bret at pettichord.com
Sun Oct 17 21:35:01 EDT 2010

Yes, it could be dangerous feature. Many of the commercial tools added
something like this without careful thought and as a result completely
killed the performance of scripts.

Several years ago we had several people tell us that Watir was 20 times
faster than their Silk tests. I believe it was because Silk added some
implicit, ubiquitous waiting without much care.

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 8:24 PM, Jari Bakken <jari.bakken at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Jarmo <jarmo.p at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > What do you guys think? Is there any reason why not to implement
> > something like that?
> >
> WebDriver got this feature recently, configurable as:
>   driver.manage.timeouts.implicit_wait = 1.5 # seconds
> The default is not to wait at all. Capybara has its own implicit
> waiting turned on by default (not sure how long).
> Personally I'm a bigger fan of explicitly waiting where it's needed,
> but I can see that this is a useful feature.

Bret Pettichord
Lead Developer, Watir, www.watir.com

Blog, www.io.com/~wazmo/blog
Twitter, www.twitter.com/bpettichord