[Wtr-development] source cleanup

Željko Filipin zeljko.filipin at wa-research.ch
Wed Oct 6 09:24:51 EDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Jarmo <jarmo.p at gmail.com> wrote:
> I forgot to mention that if we want to deal with these license
> problems properly then it's not as easy as asking from just license
> holders since we have there 2 types of licenses - BSD and MIT.

I took a look at licenses. Original files:

http://github.com/bret/watir/blob/master/watir/lib/watir/ie.rb
http://github.com/bret/watir/blob/master/firewatir/LICENSE
http://github.com/bret/watir/blob/master/commonwatir/LICENSE
http://github.com/bret/watir/blob/master/watir/lib/license.rb
http://github.com/bret/watir/blob/master/watir/lib/watir/winClicker.rb

I have moved all files to root and renamed them so I could track them. I
have fixed just the formatting, so it is easier to compare. I did not change
anything in license text (feel free to diff). New files:

http://github.com/zeljkofilipin/watir/blob/license/license-ie
http://github.com/zeljkofilipin/watir/blob/license/license-firewatir
http://github.com/zeljkofilipin/watir/blob/license/license-commonwatir
http://github.com/zeljkofilipin/watir/blob/license/license-rb
http://github.com/zeljkofilipin/watir/blob/license/license-winclicker

My Mac file compare app (/Developer/Applications/Utilities/FileMerge.app)
says there is almost no difference between the files). Commonwatir has MIT
instead of BSD license, but Bret said he did it by mistake:

http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/wtr-development/2010-March/001632.html

I suggest we delete all license text from original files and use just this
file:

http://github.com/zeljkofilipin/watir/blob/license/LICENSE

Line 23 is longer than 80 characters, I did not want to mess with that at
the moment to make it easier to diff.

License text is almost identical, there is missing word here and there:
"nor" "any other", "All rights reserved.", "other". Feel free to diff.

Files have different copyright headers, so LICENSE file has all of them.
Source of each line is in parenthesis, that should be cleaned up, but I am
not sure what to do.

Bret, Paul, Angrez, what should I do? Should we update copyright years? The
latest is 2009.

Željko