[Wtr-development] FireWatir

Charley Baker charley.baker at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 10:20:47 EDT 2010

Firefox support and the challenges behind JSSH were the initial
impetus behind moving to support and work with Webdriver. I saw the
signs more than a year ago and decided we should move in that
direction. Fortunately, Jari had the time and skill to take on that
work and has done an amazing job. Webdriver also has the advantage of
the inimitable Simon Stewart. :)

 As Jarmo mentioned, Webdriver for all browsers is the plan for Watir
2.0 and 1.x will mostly fall into a maintenance mode, similar to
Rails, Ruby, etc. There are enough outstanding gaps and issues in the
current Watir codebase that I'd like to fix those before coming to an
official stance of pure maintenance mode - the 1.6.6 release is an
important milestone since it comprises fixes and features from the
past year and sets the way for making it easier going forward for
additional rolling releases.

 We still do need to focus on closing the gap between Watir 2.0 and
1.x, adding compatibility where possible, eventually docs, etc so that
people who choose to migrate have a reasonable path.

 All of that said, the Watir userbase for 1.x is pretty substantial,
so it is possible that development will continue by people who have a
vested interest, hopefully focussed on backporting features from 2.0
in the future.

 I find myself in the unusual spot right now of having time off, so
I'm not officially supporting either version of Watir for an active
work related project. I do, however, keep in touch with the Gap,
Facebook and other teams using Watir, all currently on 1.6.x. I'm
hoping to spend some of my "free time" on Watir 2.0 as well. I think
it's important that the core developers meet up and further nail down
a more detailed road map soon.

 Anyhow, that's my 2 cents. :)

Cheers,

Charley Baker