[Win32utils-devel] A universal "windows" platform for Rubygems

Daniel Berger djberg96 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 15:31:47 UTC 2013

I've forked rubygems, though I haven't started working on it again yet.
I've added you as a collaborator. I'll add anyone else lurking on the list
who is interested.

There are actually two things I want to do.

First, is the "windows" platform. Luis' concerns were for binary gems where
the lack of a specific toolchain platform might be an issue. One thing we
could do is issue a warning and/or fail if the
Gem::Specification#extensions attribute is set.

Second is changing the default cpu to "universal". Having gem installs fail
because of "x86" vs "x86-64" is annoying, and I don't know of a single
non-binary gem that depends on it. Again, we could check the "extensions"
attribute if necessary.