[Win32utils-devel] win32-file-stat and unc directory paths

Daniel Berger djberg96 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 11:18:52 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

As I'm converting win32-file-stat to use FFI, I've run into an issue where
I can't seem to successfully call CreateFile on a UNC directory path. It
works fine if I call it on a file, but not on the directory itself.

Using my own local network, this works:

# inside stat.rb
File::Stat.new("//myhost/users/djberge/documents/foo.txt")

But this does not:

File::Stat.new("//myhost/users")

Which is strange, because in a separate, standalone program it works fine,
but I can't see what the difference is. I need a second pair of eyes,
please. The code is in git.