[Win32utils-devel] [ win32utils-Feature Requests-28841 ] Why not create fat binary gems for all win32 utils gems?

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Sun Jan 9 11:44:48 EST 2011

Feature Requests item #28841, was opened at 2011-01-09 16:58
You can respond by visiting:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=414&aid=28841&group_id=85

Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Currently if you install any of the win32-* gems then it will work only with Ruby 1.8.x due to the precompiled binary for that version. Why not create a pre-compiled versions for 1.9.x too and package them as a so called fat-binary gems?

This would make all those gems (probably) work with 1.9 Ruby too. Currently many gems cannot be used in 1.9 because they're using win32-* gems as a dependency.

Date: 2011-01-09 18:44

Message:
Luis, that would be great if you'd be able to help out to make
win32 gems work under 1.9 too. As stated in my original
request then they're playing quite big part of many other gems
and are affecting Windows Ruby users experience negatively on
Ruby 1.9.

Comment By: Luis Lavena (luislavena)
Date: 2011-01-09 18:35

Message:
Hello,

Me chiming in.

To be able to create the fat-binary gems you need Linux, as currently rake-compiler, the only project able to generate these automatically, only support that functionality on non-Windows platforms.

It is in the Roadmap, but no ETA.

So, either the fat-binary gems need to be created manually or on a non-Windows platform that support rake-compiler.

Daniel, feel free to contact me at RubyInstaller list to discuss this.