[Win32utils-devel] Fwd: IUnknown COM from Ruby

Daniel Berger djberg96 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 12:28:05 EDT 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ben Nagy <ben at research.coseinc.com>
Date: Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 2:42 AM
Subject: IUnknown COM from Ruby
To: djberg96 at gmail.com

Hi Daniel,

Sorry to email you direct, but I've struck out on google and
#ruby-lang and nobody can tell me which mailing lists are still alive,
plus you're one of the few people I know doing deep Windows stuff. :)

I was just wondering if you had any hints at all for how to go about
using COM interfaces to a DLL. Specifically, I want to wrap dbgeng.dll
(starting with the DebugCreate method) in a similar manner to
PyDbgEng. I can't find any Ruby stuff which lets me deal with raw COM
as opposed to application OLE though - which could just be because I
don't understand it. If I need IDL definitions, I can steal that from
the python code...

If you happen to have done anything like this, an example or a link
would be very much appreciated.

If you're interested, other stuff I looked at:

- Using the raw win32api and WaitForDebugEvent. Ragweed does this, but
it doesn't use dbgeng, and there are some extensions like !exploitable
I need to use.
- Using mdbg (a managed .NET wrapper) and then IronRuby to talk to the
CLR. IronRuby's fate is uncertain and it's 1.8 whereas all my other
stuff is 1.9
- Wrapping PyDbgEng with xmlrpc and then wrapping that with Ruby. Made
me throw up in my mouth.
- FFI etc - same problem, don't know how to get the actual COM
Interface classes created, no examples