[Win32utils-devel] Git?

James Tucker jftucker at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 04:42:05 EDT 2009

On 22 Oct 2009, at 02:37, Luis Lavena wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:20 PM, Daniel Berger <djberg96 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Luis Lavena wrote:
>>> In favor here.
>>> CVS has keep me out of the loop to contribute to this project,
>>> mostly
>>> because installing and setting CVS has been pushed out of my brain
>>> in
>>> favor of Mercurial, Subversion, Bazaar and Git itself.
>> I guess I don't understand this. Ok, so it's easier to setup a git
>> server,
>> but that's irrelevant since RF handles that for you. And cvs co/add/
>> commit
>> are no different in practice.
> No, is not about the server, but the workflow. It is also the
> inability to "offline" work or clone it so my I can keep I record of
> my changes.
> For example, I don't remember the last time I installed or configure
> CVS.

Honestly, I hit a lot of SCMs regularly, and cvs is a bit of a pain
with it's authentication system. The thing is, git / hg / darcs / bz
are much more comfortable, and I'm coming to settle on git these days,
because of it's efficiency really. Most of the common commands are in
muscle memory anyway, and I've got other parts of my workflows aliased
down to 2-3 chars for most operations.

The thing that a dcvs will give you, is the opportunity for others to
"take it away" for extended periods of time without having a merging
nightmare. I think this is a genuinely important feature for OSS.