[Win32utils-devel] Git?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 21:37:05 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:20 PM, Daniel Berger <djberg96 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Luis Lavena wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Daniel Berger <djberg96 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ok, so I've gone and learned git. Well, learned it well enough to get
>>> by, anyway. I can pull and push with the best of 'em!
>>>
>>> Are people on the list in favor of switching to git (on github)?
>>> Opposed? Or indifferent?
>>>

>> In favor here.
>>
>>> I personally can live with CVS, but I realize git is quite popular,
>>> and it might bring greater exposure to the project.
>>>

>> CVS has keep me out of the loop to contribute to this project, mostly
>> because installing and setting CVS has been pushed out of my brain in
>> favor of Mercurial, Subversion, Bazaar and Git itself.
>
> I guess I don't understand this. Ok, so it's easier to setup a git server,
> but that's irrelevant since RF handles that for you. And cvs co/add/commit
> are no different in practice.

No, is not about the server, but the workflow. It is also the
inability to "offline" work or clone it so my I can keep I record of
my changes.

For example, I don't remember the last time I installed or configure CVS.

> This seems to be the only real reason to do it - exposure.
>

>From your POV, there are others in relation to performance, offline
functionality and of course, adaptive workflows.

> Well, I'll probably move win32-api over first, with both the "C" and "FFI"
> branches. Maybe this weekend.

Excellent. Thank you.

--
Luis Lavena