[Win32utils-devel] Git?

Daniel Berger djberg96 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 21:20:15 EDT 2009

Luis Lavena wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Daniel Berger <djberg96 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ok, so I've gone and learned git. Well, learned it well enough to get
>> by, anyway. I can pull and push with the best of 'em!
>>
>> Are people on the list in favor of switching to git (on github)?
>> Opposed? Or indifferent?
>>

> In favor here.
>
>> I personally can live with CVS, but I realize git is quite popular,
>> and it might bring greater exposure to the project.
>>

> CVS has keep me out of the loop to contribute to this project, mostly
> because installing and setting CVS has been pushed out of my brain in
> favor of Mercurial, Subversion, Bazaar and Git itself.

I guess I don't understand this. Ok, so it's easier to setup a git
server, but that's irrelevant since RF handles that for you. And cvs
co/add/commit are no different in practice.

>> Thoughts?
>>

> The repository conversion/relocation to GitHub will also increase the
> contribution network, exposure and tools to manage these (Fork queue,
> for example).
>
> As example, a project that noones was going to work with
> (RubyInstaller) got several contributions, forks and active patches,
> bigger than when it was hosted at Subversion or Bazaar).

This seems to be the only real reason to do it - exposure.

Well, I'll probably move win32-api over first, with both the "C" and
"FFI" branches. Maybe this weekend.