[Win32utils-devel] Building Ruby with Visual Studio 2008

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Fri May 15 00:01:26 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 9:36 PM, Heesob Park <phasis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> 2009/5/15 Daniel Berger <djberg96 at gmail.com>:
>> I can no longer remember the magic incantation to setup my build
>> environment properly. I've got both VC 6 and VC 9 installed, so I
>> don't know if that's causing issues or what.
>> Windows XP, btw.
>> C:\Documents and Settings\djberge\My Documents\My
>> Downloads\Ruby\ruby-1.8.6-p114>nmake DESTDIR=c:\rubyvc9 install
>> [...]
>> I ran vcvars32.bat, too, but that didn't help.
> This is a bug of ruby's Makefile.
> First, you must run 'nmake' to build miniruby.exe
> Then, run 'nmake DESTDIR=c:\rubyvc9 install'

Question guys:

Is there a particular reason youguys are using Visual Studio to build
Ruby? wonder since I opted for MinGW to reduce the cross-platform
details between Linux/OSX and Windows, and due licensing and setup
issues on getting Visual studio actually build everything.

Just a question :-)

Luis Lavena
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry