[Win32utils-devel] building ruby 1.8.7 in windows 64-bit environment?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 17:41:50 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Peter Pawlowski<pawlowski at vivisimo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm having difficulty in trying to figure out how to handle building ruby in
> a 64-bit Windows environment.

1.8.x will not build on 64bits Windows, that was Ruby-core answer about it.

Only 1.9 is prepared to handled 64bits properly.

> So far I have been able to build ruby in Windows using nmake on the command
> line. I have played with 1.8.7 and 1.9.1.
>
> Version 1.9.1 seems to support building with a target platform of 64-bit
> Windows, however 1.8.7 does not. So, one possible solution for me is to use
> ruby 1.9.1. The problem is that I need to run rails and some other common
> gems, but these don't seem to support 1.9.1 yet.

See above answer.

> I need to compile in 64-bit mode because I am integrating this into a much
> larger software platform that is all built in 64-bit. There isn't really a
> way to work around this.

Well, that is not 100% true. Unless you need to load ruby as DLL from
a 64bits process, you're not forced to have Ruby as 64bits, 32bits
process can run side-by-side thanks to SysWOW64.

> Can anyone help with an idea of whether or not this is possible?

Not possible for 1.8 line of code.

> Or references to information I can find elsewhere?

Search at ruby-core, this was raised a few months ago.

> One thread I was able to find on this mailing list was helpful, pointing to
> the fact that the 64-bit compiler doesn't support __asm directives:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/win32utils-devel/2008-November/001304.html
>

> I haven't been able to find much useful information on the web about this
> issue (maybe I'm not searching for the right things?), so any help you might
> be able to provide would be extremely useful.

No, there isn't much information, sorry.

Please review my statement before about 32bits running side-by-side
with 64bits. Unless you need to certificate 64bits installers (for
Windows Logo) or calling ruby as library form 64bits process, then you
don't need 64bits Ruby.

> thanks so much,
>
> Peter Pawlowski

Luis Lavena