[Win32utils-devel] win32utils with ruby installer

Charley Baker charley.baker at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 15:01:10 EST 2009

Does anyone else care to weigh in? Responses inline.

Charley Baker
Lead Developer, Watir, http://watir.com

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 4:09 PM, James Tucker <jftucker at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29 Dec 2009, at 18:58, Charley Baker wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
>   I've been spending a little time delving into the latest Ruby installer
> and win32utils, several of which are needed by the  project I'm working on -
> Watir. We have requirements for some of the process libs which need the base
> apis, etc. It appears currently that we need to do one of two things -
> either require the platform (mswin32) or install the devkit to successfully
> install and use Watir gems in the current Ruby installer setup. For
> development that's fine, but that's also the current case for the enduser.
>
>  For this project are you planning on releasing mingw gems or fat binaries,
> I'm trying to gauge what the impact to our users will be. Like I say, I've
> just started looking at this and would be happy to help with anything that's
> needed, so my questions may be a bit naive as I dive into this.
>

> There are some big issues here generally. Any library that uses SEH cannot
> be compiled with gcc (read: won't compile under the new ruby installer
> builds). AFAIK this directly affects win32-api, and iirc, win32-process,
> possibly win32-service too.

Don't know what SEH means. I'm sure I'm missing an obvious TLA :P, but I
don't understand that.

> You can install the mswin32-60 builds of these, via:
>
> gem install --platform=x86-mswin32-60 win32-api
>
> Obviously this is somewhat of a hacky solution, but one we can't really
> avoid.
>
> I realize that, and mentioned as much. It's kind of a crummy step to
involve less technically savvy users, who simply want to install a gem that
works regardless. Is this the ideal plan when the new ruby installer rolls
out?

> As there are no plans globally to make gcc build SEH, and the hacky
> solutions don't tend to work correctly, I would advise that these projects
> take the following approach:
>
> 1. Build all libs that can be built for mingw, under mingw, using the
> devkit.
> 2. Libs that require an MS compiler for SEH, should be built with those,
> and binary gems should be released for the mingw platform, using these
> builds (as this is ABI compatible, and produces valid code).
> 3. Where possible, wrap up the above processes via rake-compiler.

Which projects are you referring to when you say "these projects"? I'm just
looking at dependencies, and win32utils is a big one. It's not up to me to
recompile all of our dependent libs. Still confused, is there a short,
medium and long term answer?