[Win32utils-devel] win32utils with ruby installer

James Tucker jftucker at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 18:09:16 EST 2009

On 29 Dec 2009, at 18:58, Charley Baker wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   I've been spending a little time delving into the latest Ruby installer and win32utils, several of which are needed by the  project I'm working on - Watir. We have requirements for some of the process libs which need the base apis, etc. It appears currently that we need to do one of two things - either require the platform (mswin32) or install the devkit to successfully install and use Watir gems in the current Ruby installer setup. For development that's fine, but that's also the current case for the enduser.
>
>  For this project are you planning on releasing mingw gems or fat binaries, I'm trying to gauge what the impact to our users will be. Like I say, I've just started looking at this and would be happy to help with anything that's needed, so my questions may be a bit naive as I dive into this.

There are some big issues here generally. Any library that uses SEH cannot be compiled with gcc (read: won't compile under the new ruby installer builds). AFAIK this directly affects win32-api, and iirc, win32-process, possibly win32-service too.

You can install the mswin32-60 builds of these, via:

gem install --platform=x86-mswin32-60 win32-api

Obviously this is somewhat of a hacky solution, but one we can't really avoid.

As there are no plans globally to make gcc build SEH, and the hacky solutions don't tend to work correctly, I would advise that these projects take the following approach:

1. Build all libs that can be built for mingw, under mingw, using the devkit.
2. Libs that require an MS compiler for SEH, should be built with those, and binary gems should be released for the mingw platform, using these builds (as this is ABI compatible, and produces valid code).
3. Where possible, wrap up the above processes via rake-compiler.

I am sure that there are others that might want to weigh in on this, Luis in particular, but this is the only valid option I know of at this time.