[Win32utils-devel] win32utils with ruby installer

Charley Baker charley.baker at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 13:58:06 EST 2009

Hi all,

  I've been spending a little time delving into the latest Ruby installer
and win32utils, several of which are needed by the  project I'm working on -
Watir. We have requirements for some of the process libs which need the base
apis, etc. It appears currently that we need to do one of two things -
either require the platform (mswin32) or install the devkit to successfully
install and use Watir gems in the current Ruby installer setup. For
development that's fine, but that's also the current case for the enduser.

 For this project are you planning on releasing mingw gems or fat binaries,
I'm trying to gauge what the impact to our users will be. Like I say, I've
just started looking at this and would be happy to help with anything that's
needed, so my questions may be a bit naive as I dive into this.

 This also seems to be cross cutting between this project and then the
rubyinstaller in general which should cause a bit of chaos which I'll also
try to help out with.

Lead Developer - Watir