[Win32utils-devel] File.exists?("A:") on Windows VM

Daniel Berger djberg96 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 15:29:29 EDT 2009

Wayne Vucenic wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Daniel Berger<djberg96 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I've got a Windows XP VM on my OS X box. Whenever I call File.exists?("A:")
>> on it I get a system error pop-up box from Windows.
>> The title of the window is "Windows - No Disk" and the error is "Exception
>> Processing Message" followed by some numeric codes.
>> It's not a huge deal - eventually control returns to the program and it
>> returns false as expected once you click on "continue" a couple of times -
>> but I was hoping to see this pop-up at all, as it kinda mucks up the
>> win32-file test suite.
>> Note that I don't see this behavior on a 'regular' windows install. Just the
>> VM.
>> Any suggestions as to how to best handle this in a test suite?

 > Hi Dan,
 > I've had various problem with VMWare Fusion, so I've recently started
 > using Sun's free VirtualBox VM:
 > http://www.virtualbox.org/
 > VirtualBox has more or less a comparable feature set with Fusion, and
 > I have a Vista Desktop that VMWare Player won't run on, but that
 > VirtualBox works on fine.
 > I'm not running Windows inside VirtualBox, so I can't try to recreate
 > the issues you're seeing, but it might be worth giving VirtualBox a
 > try.
 > For the record, Ubuntu 9.04 crashes a lot inside VirtualBox on OS X,
 > but judging by the mailing lists, that seems to be a problem that's
 > specific to Ubuntu on VirtualBox on OS X, so shouldn't be relevant to
 > your situation.
 > I hope to see you at RubyConf San Francisco!
 > Best regards,
 > Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I spent $50 on VMWare Fusion, so I'm sorta determined to use it.
Besides, it's worked pretty well for the most part. I've got several
different VM's running, including Ubuntu, Windows 2000, Windows XP Pro,
FreeBSD 7, Solaris 10 and even Haiku.

So far the only VM that's given me real issue is Windows 2000. I'm not
sure why, but every once in a while I have to shut it down and restart
it. Otherwise, things have run pretty smoothly. Well, after I upgraded
my RAM to 6gb they ran smoothly. ;)

In any case, I seem to recall a Windows function that suppresses those
pop-up error windows, but I can't remember what it is. I think that's
the route I'll have to take.

I don't think I'll be at RubyConf, unfortunately. I need to job hunt.
That, or get off my butt and start my own Ruby/Windows consulting
company. :)