[Win32utils-devel] Comments for Daniel Berger blog post

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 22:49:12 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 11:03 PM, Heesob Park<phasis at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/8/9 Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com>:
>> On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 9:06 PM, Heesob Park<phasis at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Thanks for your a little long summary :)
>>
>> Apologizes, needed to get it out of my chest.
>>
>> I posted about VC8 back in January 2008:
>>
>> http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubyinstaller-devel/2008-January/000230.html
>>
>> Taking in consideration was doing what "Average Joe" will do, not
>> being a VS expert or anything like that.
>>
>> Wonder how PGO compilation after running the test can improve those values.
>>
>>> I understand your situation and despair.
>>>
>>> Now I really want to know is that the mingw32 compiled dll is
>>> compatible with mswin32 version of ruby. Is there any way to make a
>>> dll build with mingw32 compiler to compatible both mingw32 and mswin32
>>> version?
>>>

>> Yes, GCC links and target by default to MSVCRT.DLL, which makes
>> mingw32 binaries compatible with mswin32 ones.
>>

> If mingw32 binaries are compatible with mswin32, I think ffi-0.4.0
> binary might be compatible with mswin32_90 version of ruby.

Well no, if memory is allocated by mswin32 ffi, it cannot be GC by
mswin32_90 Ruby.

> What's the way to install ffi-0.4.0 mingw32 binary gem to mswin32_90
> version of ruby?

gem install ... --platform=i386-mswin32

But use it at your own risk.

>> Everything will be great as long both target and use the same CRT.
>>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "as long both target and use the same CRT".

Memory allocation and free'd must be done by the same CRT functions,
on the exact same library, cannot be performed by different CRT set of
functions.

That leads to segfaults.

--
Luis Lavena