[Win32utils-devel] Comments for Daniel Berger blog post

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 20:18:46 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 9:06 PM, Heesob Park<phasis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2009/8/9 Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com>:
>> [LONG SNIP]
>
> Thanks for your a little long summary :)

Apologizes, needed to get it out of my chest.

I posted about VC8 back in January 2008:

http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubyinstaller-devel/2008-January/000230.html

Taking in consideration was doing what "Average Joe" will do, not
being a VS expert or anything like that.

Wonder how PGO compilation after running the test can improve those values.

> I understand your situation and despair.
>
> Now I really want to know is that the mingw32 compiled dll is
> compatible with mswin32 version of ruby. Is there any way to make a
> dll build with mingw32 compiler to compatible both mingw32 and mswin32
> version?

Yes, GCC links and target by default to MSVCRT.DLL, which makes
mingw32 binaries compatible with mswin32 ones.

Everything will be great as long both target and use the same CRT.

Now, the issues are Ruby and Ruby code. There are lot of RUBY_PLATFORM
evaluations, so while binaries may be compatible, the Ruby code
perhaps not.

rake-compiler has been created and improved to allow targeting mswin32
and mingw32 platforms, in the aim to maintain backward compatibility
until mingw32 version gets more adopted.

Luis Lavena
AREA 17
-
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry