[Win32utils-devel] What's the plan for support 1.9.x

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 00:25:09 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 12:34 AM, Heesob Park<phasis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I tried RubyInstaller preview 1 ruby 1.9.1p129 at
> http://rubyinstaller.org/downloads/ .
> I noticed the package contains no gems unlike OCI.
> When I tried to install windows-pr, it failed like this:
> C:\>gem install windows-pr
> Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
> ERROR:  Error installing windows-pr:
>        ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
> c:/Ruby19/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
> checking for strncpy_s()... *** extconf.rb failed ***
> Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
> necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
> details.  You may need configuration options.
> I know I did not install developer kit.
> Is there any chance of providing binary gem for ruby 1.9.1 mingw32 version?
> Does anyone checked the compatibility of the win32-utils with ruby 1.9.x?
> Or just do not use win32-utils in ruby 1.9.x?

I have two suggestions:

1) Usage of rake-compiler to generate the extensions, so generation of
both mswin32 and mingw32 can happen at the same time

2) Generation of "fat-binaries" gems to bundle both 1.8 and 1.9 extensions.

This is required since you cannot create equal gem versions but target
different ruby versions
(discussed over RubyGems-devel list without success).

Luis Lavena
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry