[Win32utils-devel] Am I on Windows XP?

Berger, Daniel Daniel.Berger at qwest.com
Wed Sep 24 15:43:32 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I was looking over a code snippet to determine if I was on Windows XP or
not. Normally this would be easy - just check for major version 5, minor
version 1.

There's one snag, though. According to the MSDN docs, a 64 bit Windows
XP Pro will return a minor version of 2. So, how do we distinguish
between Windows Server 2003 and a 64 bit Windows XP?

This is what I came up with. It feels pretty hackish, as I'm just
checking the suitemask to see if any 2003 features are installed, but
maybe it works. Is there a more elegant solution?

      def windows_xp?
         bool = false

         buf = 0.chr * 156
         buf[0,4] = [buf.size].pack("L") # Set the size

         major = buf[4,4].unpack("L")[0]
         minor = buf[8,4].unpack("L")[0]
         suite = buf[152,2].unpack("S")[0]

         # Make sure we detect a 64-bit Windows XP Pro
         if major == 5
            if minor == 1
               bool = true
            elsif minor == 2
               if suite && VER_SUITE_BLADE == 0          &&
                  suite && VER_SUITE_COMPUTE_SERVER == 0 &&
                  suite && VER_SUITE_DATACENTER == 0     &&
                  suite && VER_SUITE_ENTERPRISE == 0     &&
                  suite && VER_SUITE_STORAGE_SERVER == 0
                  bool = true
               # Do nothing - already false