[Win32utils-devel] Readline with VC++ 8?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 15:43:16 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Berger, Daniel
<Daniel.Berger at qwest.com> wrote:
> Oof. This whole time I thought irb required readline to work. Nope. It
> turns out I was hitting a LoadError bug in irb/init.rb:
> http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/show/677
> Two LoadError bugs in three days! What are the odds?!

The odds are really high, is ruby source code, sometimes that stuff is
really buried in :-P

> Anyway, once I fixed that, I was able to use the Rails console. Yay.

Double yay!

> Still, I think a pure Ruby Readline library would be very welcome in the
> Ruby world.

Yes indeed, but the ruby tests for it do not provide too much
information about it (those are plain silly if you ask me). Maybe
RubySpec has something better about it?

> Regards,
> Dan

This is what I have for readline and VC8:

But realized was version 4.3 since version 5 was a complete nightmare to build.

I'll try to see where is that subversion repo and generate a package from it.

Luis Lavena
disinclination to do so.
Douglas Adams