[Win32utils-devel] Interest in win32-installer

Paul Nasrat pnasrat at googlemail.com
Mon May 26 12:36:32 EDT 2008

I was wondering if people would be interested in wrapping msi.dll
functionality,

I've started writing a small library to enable enumeration of products
installed via Windows Installer using win32api (I know I can also
query via win32ole to win32_product but I don't seem to get all the
properties that are in msi.h).

It's a little messy, and I've not got far as I'm pretty new at ruby
and win32 programming coming from mostly a python/*nix background, so
I thought I'd try to get some early feedback. It's inspired by psmsi
(http://www.codeplex.com/psmsi/) but I want to be able to get
installer information (and eventually information from an msi) in ruby
as it'd help towards getting a windows installer puppet package
provider.

I'm trying to think how best to test the code - based upon looking at
the tests in psmsi I was wondering if there is a ruby library that
would allow me to set up temporary keys in the registry so I can
actually set expectations/assertions on known values for installed
software - this should be possible by abusing RegOverridePredefKey.

Any feedback, and advice - particularly about producing ruby idiom
friendly library welcome.

Paul