[Win32utils-devel] User sid

Berger, Daniel Daniel.Berger at qwest.com
Mon Jul 7 11:00:23 EDT 2008

Hi everyone, I'm back from vacation.

<snip old stuff>

> I have implemented it as you expected :)
>
> After adding following two lines to the security.rb:
>       API.new('GetSecurityInfo', 'LLLPPPPP', 'L', 'advapi32')
>       API.new('SetSecurityInfo', 'LLLPPPP', 'L', 'advapi32')
>
> Here is a working code for change_owner and get_owner :

<snip cool code>

Excellent, thanks!

I think what I'll do is add this to win32-file 0.5.6, and just make
these methods private for now.

My ultimate plan, however, is to separate the security related functions
into a separate win32-security library, modelled after Perl's
Win32::Security module, which you can find at
http://search.cpan.org/~teverett/Win32-Security-0.50/, and/or Python's
win32security library. I have some non-working skeleton code for
win32-security in CVS, but I need to think about the interface more
before publishing it.

I may have brought this up before, but I can't remember now.

Anyay, once we publish win32-security, we'll make it a requirement for
win32-file (among others) and use its interface instead of a bunch of
internal, private methods in order to keep the code base a bit more
maintainable and easier to read.

The next major upgrade I have planned is to make our libraries more
Unicode friendly, which means lots of manual string handling via
multi_to_wide and so forth. The example that inspired me was
http://tinyurl.com/6e473w.

Sound like a plan?