[Win32utils-devel] JRuby and callbacks?

Daniel Berger djberg96 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 21:17:15 EST 2008

Heesob Park wrote:
> 2008/1/24, Daniel Berger <djberg96 at gmail.com <mailto:djberg96 at gmail.com>>:
>     Heesob Park wrote:
>      > Hi,
>      >
>      > 2008/1/24, Berger, Daniel < Daniel.Berger at qwest.com
>     <mailto:Daniel.Berger at qwest.com>
>      > <mailto:Daniel.Berger at qwest.com <mailto:Daniel.Berger at qwest.com>>>:
>      >
>      >     Hi all,
>      >
>      >     Any Java/JRuby folks on the list? I'd like to see if we can
>     implement
>      >     api.c for JRuby using JNA and see how it handles the callbacks.
>      >
>      >
>      > What's the status of JRuby? Is it stable and fast enough?
>     It's coming along, but there are a lot of bugs left. I wouldn't use it
>     in production yet. I also haven't seen any memory profiling.
>      >
>      >     I'm not a Java guy, nor do I know JNA, but I'll take a stab
>     at it if no
>      >     one else on the list does.
>      >
>      >
>      > I will take another stab at it if no other else on the list does:)
>     If you can get it to work, great. Otherwise, this might be the time to
>     fork Ruby, as I have no love for 1.9.
> Then you might be the creater of Ruby++ or Ruby# :)
> Did you have any idea about native threading, garbage collection and
> byte code compiler?

Ruby# has a name. It's called "IronRuby". :)

I'd use C++. I like Ruby++. :)

Native threads - I only know I want them, but I'm not sure how to go
about altering the interpreter to make it possible to use native
threads. Also, I want both native _and_ green threads. Most of the time
green threads are good enough. It's really only for embedding and
extending that native threads become necessary.

Garbage collection - What little research I've done on it suggests that
generational garbage collection is ideal. I don't know how to implement
it, though.

Byte code compiler - No thoughts on this currently.

In all cases, I'm not sure what advantages using C++ over C would
provide both in terms of general capabilities (functors, default
arguments, etc) and possible use of the STL or 3rd party libraries.

I'd like to get venture capital (funding) if I'm going to do this,
though. Doing this as a side project will be very hard.