[Win32utils-devel] Temporarily setting the output languageforcmd.exe

Berger, Daniel Daniel.Berger at qwest.com
Fri Jan 18 12:49:01 EST 2008

> In my XP Prof, ping alway emits English whatsoever code page.
> But in my Vista, ping emit different message for each code page.
> chcp 437 && ping -n1 www.ruby-lang.org emits:
> Active code page: 437
> Pinging carbon.ruby-lang.org [] with 32 bytes of data:
> Reply from bytes=32 time=287ms TTL=39
> Ping statistics for
>     Packets: Sent = 1, Received = 1, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
> Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
>     Minimum = 287ms, Maximum = 287ms, Average = 287ms

Ah, thanks.

Here's another question. Why, if I set the code page to 437, does
GetACP() return 1252?

C:\Documents and Settings\djberge>chcp 437
Active code page: 437

C:\Documents and Settings\djberge>irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'windows/national'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> include Windows::National
=> Object
irb(main):003:0> GetACP()
=> 1252

I realise 1252 is "Latin 1" while 437 is "United States", but I'm
curious why they're different here. Am I confusing two different things?