[Win32utils-devel] [Fwd: [ruby-core:20176] Unable to build from source on Vista, VC++ 9]

Daniel Berger djberg96 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 01:02:37 EST 2008

Heesob Park wrote:
> 2008/12/1 Daniel Berger <djberg96 at gmail.com>:
>> Heesob Park wrote:
>>> The __asm inline assembler is not supported in 64bit compiler.
>> Ah, thanks. Do we absolutely have to have this bit of assembler code to
>> begin with? I don't really know assembler so I don't know what that code is
>> needed for.
>>
> That assembly code gets/sets the SEH(Structured Exception Handling)
> stack list for the 32bit Intel CPU.
> Refer to http://www.microsoft.com/msj/0197/Exception/Exception.aspx.
>
> But in 64bit CPU, the SEH is not stack based but table based. So SEH
> is not compatible with 32 bit.
> Refer to http://www.woodmann.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11636

That second link is unreachable for me. I'm not sure what's up, but the MSDN
site had some documentation, too:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wbk4z78b.aspx

I guess the question is whether or not there's some way we can deal with that
eval.c code with a simple patch, or if it will take a major overhaul.