[Win32utils-devel] Giving folks access to Win2k

Daniel Berger djberg96 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 00:15:41 EDT 2007

Hi all,

As fate would have it I'm giving away my old desktop to a friend who has
no computer. The upside is that means I have room to setup my old-old
desktop, which happens to have Windows 2000 on it.

It's a dual Pentium-II 400 with 512mb of RAM. I installed the Ruby 1.8.6
one-click on it, and it already had VC++ 6 on it. Fairly zippy, actually.

What I would like to do is give certain people access to the machine.
Preferably, just a command line login.

Unfortunately, the only things I saw online for command line logins were
commercial products. I thought about firing up the telnet service, but
it seems to require NTLM authentication. My attempts to configure ntml
were foiled - for some reason the OS thinks I don't have admin
privileges (I do).

Any suggestions? I'm willing to pay money if you think there's a
commercial product out there that's worth it (I saw rlogind from MKS
Software - any good?), but I would prefer a free solution if possible.

You can email me offline (djberg96 at gmail dot com) if you prefer to
take this offline.