[Win32utils-devel] Windows programming books?

Wayne Vucenic waynev at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 00:31:48 EDT 2007

P.S.  Also "Windows NT Win32 API Superbible" by Richard J. Simon.
It's again old (1997), but again used copies are pretty cheap on
Amazon.   And big parts of the Win32 API haven't changed much since
1997.

It divides the API calls into 30 chapters by function, for example
"Memory Management" or "The Clipboard".   There are C code snippets
(all also on the enclosed CD-ROM) showing how to call many of the
APIs.   The description of each API call isn't nearly as detailed as
on MSDN (otherwise this book would be a lot longer than its 1500
pages), and sometimes they leave out important information.

But I find it amazingly helpful when I'm working in a given area to be
able to see all the API calls in one place.  Sometimes it's also
convenient to use a book rather than going online.
But after I find what I'm looking for I usually double-check it on MSDN.

Wayne