[Win32utils-devel] Windows programming books?

Wayne Vucenic waynev at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 00:18:08 EDT 2007

Hi Dan,

I have Richter's book, but I don't much like it.  In a number of places, when
it starts discussing some concept, it makes a statement like "X always
behaves like Y".  But then, 10 or 20 pages later, in passing it says
"X doesn't behave like Y in the case that...".

To me, this makes the book almost useless as a reference.  On more
than one occasion, I wanted to learn about X, so I looked it up,
found out that "X always behaves like Y", and wrote my code
accordingly.  It was only after my code didn't work right that I read
further and found out there were exceptions or qualifications to the
above statement.

A book that I much prefer, that covers a similar set of topics, is
"Win32 System Services: The Heart of Windows 98 and Windows 2000",
3rd ed, by Marshall Brain and Ron Reeves.    As the title implies,
this book is also a bit dated now.  (But the advantage of that is that
used copies are pretty cheap on Amazon.)

I also like John Robbins' books on debugging.  Not only is debugging
a useful skill, but in explaining how to do really good debugging Robbins
often explains how parts of Windows works, or how to do certain things.

Depending on what I'm doing, I also find the following books useful:

Windows Internals, 4th ed by Russinovich and Solomon
Undocumented Windows NT by Dabak, et al.
Undocumented Windows 2000 Secrets by Schreiber
Windows NT/2000 Native API Reference by Nebbett

I hope this helps!

Take care,