[Win32utils-devel] WinRuby?

Daniel Berger djberg96 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 11:28:27 EDT 2007

Hi all,

With the latest 1.8.6 release out today, I was wondering - what would
you all think of a Windows-only fork of Ruby? I mean Perl has
ActiveState, right? It ships with a slightly different interpreter and
different libraries, so why not Ruby?

Here's what I'm thinking:

* Win2k or later. No 95/98/ME support. No cygwin/mingw, either.
* Assume VC++ 8. Use whatever switches we want to optimize.
* Scrap huge chunks of the stdlib, and add new libraries.
* Use Windows specific functions where beneficial.
* Remove UNIX-only functions/methods (or create equivalent functions).
* TCHAR through and through, with possible Unicode benefits down the road.
* ANSI C

Areas I'm looking to improve specifically:

File
File::Stat
Dir
IO
Process
Socket
Kernel#select

Areas I'm looking to improve in general:

Speed
Tests (tailored for Windows)
More Speed
More Tests

But, before I dive into this I would need serious help. How many of you
would be willing to join me? I'm really looking for people who know
C/C++, are at least somewhat familiar with the Windows API, and are
willing to have commit access.

On the other hand, if you absolutely HATE the idea, please say so. I
don't want to chase anyone away. :)

Lemme know!