[Win32utils-devel] IO.read - binary by default?

Patrick Hurley phurley at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 15:37:37 EDT 2007

On 9/20/07, Berger, Daniel <Daniel.Berger at qwest.com> wrote:
> Hm, what do you mean? For methods like IO.readlines and such? Couldn't
> we just modify those methods? Or did you mean something else?

We could, but I am not sure you can unambiguously pull this off. Right
now if you io.puts to a file on windows it writes \r\n, if the file is
in binary, it only writes the \n. Won't this change break a lot of
existing windows scripts?

I wish I had a time machine, could go back to 1981 and smack someone
at microsoft and get them to do this (and path separators) correctly
from the start (and I would probably purchase some of there stock
while I was there). But it is an unholy mess that cannot be easily
fixed -- please tell me I am wrong :-)