[Win32utils-devel] WinRuby?

Patrick Hurley phurley at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 12:32:04 EDT 2007

> On 10/8/07, Gordon Thiesfeld <gthiesfeld at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Let me correct you on this one: supporting windows right now isn't
> > > important (not that they want to).
> > >
> > > Besides the GNU toolchain needed by Rubinius, you also need Git, which
> > > is a real pain to get working on Windows (outside cygwin, using
> > > mingw-git port).
> > >
> > > So not only you will have to spent time getting Rubinius working on
> > > Win32, but also all the toolchain correctly working... that's a huge
> > > problem.
> >
> > Fair enough.  I was basing my statements off of a post by Wilson
> > Bilkovich*, where he says he wants to get it to compile on VC8 at some
> > point.  I'm not sure of the level of effort that would take, but I
> > thought I'd ask here to get some opinions and see if there was any
> > interest.
> >
> > * http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/228625
> >

> >From that post it seems they want to get rid of glib dependency (which is good).
>
> Guess that whey they reach that point, someone could step in and
> implement a configure-like batch file for VC8/VC9.
>
> Hopefully when the time comes, mingw-git will be integrated to git and
> will be more simple to get your copy of rubinius code on windows (I
> highly doubt about that, but miracles often happens)...
>
> --
> Luis Lavena
> Multimedia systems
> -
> Leaders are made, they are not born. They are made by hard effort,
> which is the price which all of us must pay to achieve any goal that
> is worthwhile.
> Vince Lombardi

Missing git is not the end of the world. They provide an SVN mirror,
you cannot commit from it, but that may be enough for porting to
windows. I personally believe that Rubinius has the best internal
design of any of the "future ruby" implementations -- time will tell
if it pays off. Evan seems like a very reasonable guy and I would
expect he would welcome porting support to Win32 -- but he is
reasonably concentrating on the platforms on which he develops, and
the tool chain used on those platforms.

pth