[Win32utils-devel] WinRuby?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 10:53:54 EDT 2007

On 10/8/07, Gordon Thiesfeld <gthiesfeld at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Let me correct you on this one: supporting windows right now isn't
> > important (not that they want to).
> >
> > Besides the GNU toolchain needed by Rubinius, you also need Git, which
> > is a real pain to get working on Windows (outside cygwin, using
> > mingw-git port).
> >
> > So not only you will have to spent time getting Rubinius working on
> > Win32, but also all the toolchain correctly working... that's a huge
> > problem.
> Fair enough.  I was basing my statements off of a post by Wilson
> Bilkovich*, where he says he wants to get it to compile on VC8 at some
> point.  I'm not sure of the level of effort that would take, but I
> thought I'd ask here to get some opinions and see if there was any
> interest.
> * http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/228625

>From that post it seems they want to get rid of glib dependency (which is good).

Guess that whey they reach that point, someone could step in and
implement a configure-like batch file for VC8/VC9.

Hopefully when the time comes, mingw-git will be integrated to git and
will be more simple to get your copy of rubinius code on windows (I
highly doubt about that, but miracles often happens)...

Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems
is worthwhile.
Vince Lombardi