[Win32utils-devel] RubyConf 2007 - Thoughts?

Patrick Hurley phurley at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 11:00:07 EST 2007

On Nov 8, 2007 10:28 PM, Daniel Berger <djberg96 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> For those of you that attended RubyConf 2007, what were your impressions?
> Any more thoughts on JRuby, Rubinius, IronRuby or Wuby?
> Regards,
> Dan

JRuby is moving ahead with amazing speed. There current version
appears to be on par or slightly faster than MRI, and their beta
compiler will provide additional speed and the ability to lightly hide
Ruby code for commercial deployment. Rubinius is a sound approach and
appears to be gaining a relatively large community, but it remains a
work in progress -- I have high hopes, but there is a lot left to do.
IronRuby is still pretty early in its cycle as well, it appears to be
the long term best choice for Windows and Ruby, but is at least a year
from being usable (my wild guess not theirs) - it is encouraging that
they have a reasonable license and are hosting on RubyForge, but it
does not appear that they much community support yet (I guess
microsoft has to work to gain open source developer trust, go figure).

My overall impression is that for long running (non-script)
applications JRuby is pretty much ready and developing rapidly. For
everything else we still have one real Ruby. 1.9 is scheduled for
Christmas this year, but Matz hedged his bets on its stability, but
still encouraged everyone to use it, as without users it will never
get stable.

As for Wuby, as a packaging -- basically taking the one click
installer, adding in some of the Win32 gems and possibly building with
a recent version of VC (along with building all of the open source
support libraries as well). That may have some value, but in the long
term IronRuby is probably a better bet -- but that is at least a year