[Win32utils-devel] [ win32utils-Support Requests-12080 ] How would one add these packages as a dependency to a cross-platform gem?

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Sat Jul 7 22:02:13 EDT 2007

Support Requests item #12080, was opened at 2007-07-07 19:02
You can respond by visiting:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=412&aid=12080&group_id=85

Category: Install Problem (example)
Group: None

Initial Comment:
I am building a ruby application that is expected to work across all supported platforms (mac/win/linux). Since my application needs to download and install myriad other external applications, I have made extensive use of the fork and open3 features - which forced me to use the win32-open3 implementations from you guys (I'm immensely grateful for your hard work btw).

Now I'm trying to distribute my application as a rubygem, but when I add win32-open3 as a dependency, I'm afraid users on all of the other platforms are going to get prompted to install it - and subsequently fail the installation.

When I try to install locally on OS X with the dependency activated, it complains and fails.

Do you folks know how to distribute gems that depend on your packages only for windows users?

Here's my project by the way - it's coming along nicely:
http://code.google.com/p/projectsprouts