[Win32utils-devel] Some more win32-changenotify analysis

Daniel Berger djberg96 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 10:51:31 EDT 2007

On 8/9/07, Heesob Park <phasis at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2007/8/9, Daniel Berger <djberg96 at gmail.com>:
> > On 8/9/07, Heesob Park <phasis at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > Now I noticed some events ocurred between GetQueuedCompletionStatus and
> > > ReadDirectoryChangesW might be missed. The faster CPU machine can detect
> the
> > > more events. And this version cannot detect the whole events.
> >
> > Anything we can do to improve it? I think we're still doing better
> > than the current C version in any case. :)
>

> In case of C version, I guess It could be improved by using thread. But in
> case of pure Ruby version, I have no idea.
> If someday Ruby support native windows thread, it would be much better.

Would wrapping that section of code in a Ruby thread help at all? Or
not really due to the nature of the code?

One other thing I've noticed is that it doesn't appear possible to
Ctrl-C out of that code, even if I setup a separate sleeper thread in
the main program. I have to kill it with the task manager. This is a
minor issue, but I thought I'd mention it in case you had any ideas.