[Win32utils-devel] Mongrel as win32-service, round3.

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sun May 21 09:12:21 EDT 2006

Hello lists!

This is not spam, but included the 2 lists (mongrel-users and
win32utils-devel) because the both are involved.

Attached is the 3rd version of a simple http_service script used
previously to get the things right for the mongrel Rails service.

With the modifications Zed implemented the past days (into the beta
gem, 0.3.13). Now the service part works better.

Still, a few things must be worked to get rails 100% in this env.

I also commented into the file a few things about how service work:

You cannot do file operations (like openning a file and logging into
it) inside service_stop, or actually stopping the listeners threads
user by mongrel make the service hang and report an error.

Found that the rb_funcall() to service_stop (if defined) is done
previously to setting the service state to SERVICE_STOP_PENDING, a
thing that sometimes make the service manager think the service just
crashed.

So far, tested in Windows XP SP2 without any kind of problems (runned
50 start/serve/stop cycles).

Any feedback on this will be helpful, so I attached a Rakefile that
should be used to perform the same test cycles I have done here.

(You will need ApacheBench or replace the worker definitin with
something that could give some load the the mongrel service).

When it finish (or report errors) please mail me the service and
stress log files.

Thanks in advance for the time everyone take on this.

Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems
-
is worthwhile.