[Win32utils-devel] Portable Daemon

Daniel Berger djberg96 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 22:27:40 EDT 2006

Patrick Hurley wrote:
> I am wrapping up work on a "PortableDaemon" gem. It is pure Ruby and
> wraps win32-service and the daemons gems. Allowing users to write
> against a common interface (pretty much the win32-service call back
> structure).
> Under Linux it captures a couple signals to support the service_stop
> (TERM) and service_paramchange (USR1). It also adds a "run" feature to
> the win32 implementation with _very_ simple support for debugging at
> the console of the wrapped service.
> It probably belongs in its own "project" as it is a Linux/Win32
> wrapper and written in pure Ruby, but I don't want to step on any
> toes, so if anyone feels it belongs as part of the win32 utils please
> let me know. I am going to touch base with a few people on the
> interface at RailsConf and then setup the gem.
> If anyone wants the code (still rough, but working) or just has some
> input please let me know.
> Thanks
> pth
Cool.  No, it doesn't belong on win32-utils because, as you say, it's
not win32 specific.  Even if it was, it's *your* library, and you can do
with it as you please. :)

Just an FYI, I released win32-service 0.5.1 tonight.  Please take a look
at the changes file.

PS - I can help with Solaris testing next week.