[Win32utils-devel] Portable Daemon

Patrick Hurley phurley at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 22:15:02 EDT 2006

I am wrapping up work on a "PortableDaemon" gem. It is pure Ruby and
wraps win32-service and the daemons gems. Allowing users to write
against a common interface (pretty much the win32-service call back

Under Linux it captures a couple signals to support the service_stop
(TERM) and service_paramchange (USR1). It also adds a "run" feature to
the win32 implementation with _very_ simple support for debugging at
the console of the wrapped service.

It probably belongs in its own "project" as it is a Linux/Win32
wrapper and written in pure Ruby, but I don't want to step on any
toes, so if anyone feels it belongs as part of the win32 utils please
let me know. I am going to touch base with a few people on the
interface at RailsConf and then setup the gem.

If anyone wants the code (still rough, but working) or just has some
input please let me know.