[Win32utils-devel] [Fwd: Ruby Win32-Service]

Patrick Hurley phurley at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 21:27:14 EDT 2006

On 6/18/06, Heesob Park <phasis at gmail.com> wrote:
> As you know, using native thread is not recommended in the current ruby version.

True, but it is safe to use native threads as long as they don't call
any ruby functions. So my thought was use a native thread to deal with
the blocked StartServiceCtrlDispatcher, but do some sort of ugly spin
in a green ruby thread (unless I can find a better way to interface to
the native thread).

I have dealt with other non-thread safe libraries using similar
techniques in services with a fair degree of success in the past (but
admittedly never with Ruby).

I will give it a try tomorrow and let you know how it goes, if it goes
well, I will provide a patch.