[Win32utils-devel] [Fwd: Ruby Win32-Service]

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 14:34:06 EDT 2006

On 6/18/06, Daniel Berger <djberg96 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thoughts?

Dan,

I faced the same issue of the guy pointed out.

Calling the EventHash from other native thread (not the one where ruby
interpreter is running) trash everything. Worse is that the
interpreter is currently "looping" in service_main

As I understand the idea of Patrick, we could emulate the threading of
Service_Ctrl in a green thread, something that will not work quite
right without us pulling status in a regular basis.

The second suggestions sounds good, but is far from where I could
understand the impact of implementing that.

I was looking at ruby source (signal.c) and scratching the surface,
IN_MAIN_CONTEXT (which is alias for rb_w32_main_context) offered,
based on conjectures from Nobuyoshi Nakada, could offer some context
switch for the rub interpreter, but couldn't solve if the interpreter
is already running.

I could suggest this:

In Service_Ctrl, set the service status so service_main get the update
and could exit from it. and wait for event "ExitedFromServiceMain".

in the daemon_mainloop, after exiting rb_funcall "service_main",
signal the ExitedFromServiceMain so Service_Ctrl could call the
EventHash and don't trash the ruby interpreter. (Here we could
implemented as IN_MAIN_CONTEXT as a safe-net).

Then signal the EventStop and set the service status as STOPPED.

Hope the "workflow" sounds good, for me it does (but don't have time
to hack it currently now).

Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems
-