[Win32utils-devel] [ win32utils-Patches-4603 ] [open3] set $? and return Process::Status with block call

noreply at rubyforge.org noreply at rubyforge.org
Sun Jun 18 10:37:59 EDT 2006

You can respond by visiting:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=413&aid=4603&group_id=85

Category: win32-open3
Group: Bug Fix

Initial Comment:
This is another version Samuel Tesla's patch which sets $? and also returns the Process::Status when popen3/4 is called with a block (i.e. this patch merges changes from the two patches Samuel submitted).

Note that this implementation is not thread-safe. As the attachment will demonstrate.

Date: 2006-06-18 07:37

Message:
Hi again,

After reading your post again I realized that $? is only set when the block form is used.  Is there any way to set $? when the non-block form is used?  What does the Unix variant do?

If that doesn't make sense, or is just too difficult, then I won't worry about it.  I thought I would ask, though.

Comment By: Daniel Berger (djberg96)
Date: 2006-06-01 20:13

Message:
The patch looks good to me.  I'm not particularly worried about thread safety issues when it comes to running external programs, so I'm not going to worry about it.

I'll have Heesob take a look.