[Win32utils-devel] A quick announcement

Shashank Date sdate at everestkc.net
Sun Feb 26 19:11:38 EST 2006

Hi Dan,

Daniel Berger wrote:

>In light of Curt's decision to use VC++ 6 to build the latest one click
>installer, along with what are undoubtedly future compatibility problems
>between old and new compilers, I think it's best if we try to move over
>the simpler packages to a pure Ruby solution using Win32API.  I have
>started that process by releasing pure Ruby versions of win32-clipboard
>and win32-sound.

I for one like that idea! How stable do you think is Win32 API? For some
reason I was under the impression that we chose not to use Win32 API
because of some issue we had in the earlier version. I could be wrong
though. Also, what about ruby/dl as an option?

>In addition, I've started the process of moving these packages into the
>toplevel CVS directory, instead of under a common win32utils directory.
>The latter falls into the 'it seemed like a good idea at the time'
>category, where I thought it would make creating a single distro
>easier.  Now I just think it's a pain.  So, over the course of the next
>couple months I'll be moving stuff around.

I may be able to help you there.

>I'm sure some of you are thinking, "I told you so" right about now.

I told you so :-)

>My apologies in advance for the nuisance.

Oh no. No apologies needed ... you did what you thought was the best.
And did (are doing) a wonderful job of keeping them utilities coming.

Looking forward,
-- shanko