[Win32utils-devel] Tweak to win32-eventlog - SOLVED

Daniel Berger djberg96 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 16:02:24 EST 2006

[I meant to CC this but accidentally left the attachment on so it got
rejected.  Anyway, here's what I sent to Greg].

Greg,

I think I've solved it.  It seems to be the FORMAT_MESSAGE_FROM_SYSTEM
flag.  One poster claims that it doesn't actually work properly when
used with FORMAT_MESSAGE_FROM_HMODULE.

I'm not sure.  From the docs for FORMAT_MESSAGE_FROM_SYSTEM:

"If this flag is specified, an application can pass the result of the
GetLastError function to retrieve the message text for a system-defined
error."

I think that's what it's doing, although I would think the app would
only set that if there was an -actual failure-.  That's arguably a bug
in the .NET runtime.  But whatever.

What that tells me is that the Windows Event Viewer does *not* check for
a system message.  I guess now I have to decided if I should just remove
the FORMAT_MESSAGE_FROM_SYSTEM flag (which fixes your problem, btw).  I
probably will, since it's a lot easier than dealing with the confusion
otherwise generated. :)

In any case, keep your eyes open for a new release soon. :)

Many thanks for the bug report.  This was a tough one.