[Win32utils-devel] FW: Watir needs a Win32GUI library

Berger, Daniel Daniel.Berger at qwest.com
Sat Mar 12 13:13:27 EST 2005

Anyone need something to do? :)

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Bret Pettichord [mailto:bret at pettichord.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 12, 2005 8:25 AM
To: ruby-talk ML
Cc: wtr-general at rubyforge.org
Subject: Watir needs a Win32GUI library

We've seen growing enthusiasm for Watir, a web-testing library that is
good
enough that it is convincing people to learn Ruby just so that they can
use
it. Here are some things people are saying about it:

     Watir Rocks! I have played with it for only about on hour and
accomplished what I had wanted to do (but did not have the wherewithall)

for ages. Truly awesome !!

     In my opinion, WATIR has no peer as a framework to drive functional

test automation in Internet Explorer.

     I have been using watir for a few weeks and have been very
productive
in automating the testing of our Web based application.

     I downloaded Watir a few days ago, without having have any high
hopes
for it, but I have been very impressed by this tool. I have limited
scripting experience and none with Ruby, but I was able to follow your
examples and be productive in short order. My hat is off to all involved
in
this project, you're doing a great service for the testing community -
mad
props!

     Up until now, I'd managed to avoid learning the Ruby scripting
language.... But after seeing what Watir could do and how neat Ruby is,
became a convert.

See http://wtr.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?WatirTestimonials for more
comments.

We've just release version 1.1 of Watir.

I'm writing to ask for help. The biggest problem with Watir is its
support
for various dialogs. These dialogs appear when you use a browser; for
example, a login dialog or a security dialog or a javascript dialog.
Watir
mostly works by accessing the DOM via IE's COM interface. But there is
no
COM/DOM interface to these dialogs. We have some code that uses Win32
API
calls, but it is buggy and needs work. Frankly, i think we would be
better
off using a general Win32 GUI testing library than trying to build a
peice
of it ourselves.

Perl has a really good Win32-GuiTest library.
http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/htdocs/Win32-GuiTest/

There is also a Ruby port of this, but it uses Cygwin and appears to
have
been abandoned.
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/win32-guitest/

We need something that works with MSWIN. Can you help us?

So far we have had some suggestions. One person suggested that we just
use
the Perl library. Another has suggested that we use AutoIt. But
personally
i would prefer a Ruby solution. Surely i'm not the only Ruby programmer
left on the Windows platform. Do we want to let the Perl programmers
dominate Windows?

Bret