[Win32utils-devel] [ANN] win32-driveinfo in CVS

Park Heesob phasis at nownuri.net
Wed Feb 9 23:59:52 EST 2005

Hi Dan,
> Wow, that was fast!  Well, since you had originally used a pure Ruby
> implementation, I *was* going to suggest you reimplement it using OLE +
> WMI:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wmisdk/
> wmi/computer_system_hardware_classes.asp
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wmisdk/
> wmi/operating_system_classes.asp
> I was thinking maybe win32_diskdrive from the hardware classes and/or
> the various filesystem classes (win32_logicaldisk, etc).  I've only
> spent about 2 minutes looking at those docs this morning, so maybe that
> won't work. Also, since you've already reimplemented it once, I dunno
> how you feel about reimplementing it again.
I have reimplemented some methods with OLE+WMI,
But there are no equivalents for some methods like GetDiskFreeSpaceEx in case of UNC Path.
If you really wish OLE+WMI implementaion, I will concede it to you :)

> Or, we could provide both, giving the users a choice during
> installation.  Maybe Shanko would like to take a stab at that. :)
> I was also thinking some more about Mike's filesystem API.  I think we
> can simulate "Filesystem.stat" easily enough with the information being
> returned from the "getDriveInfo" method you have now.  The struct
> members wouldn't be identical, but close enough.  The
> "FileSystem.mounts" method looks like its the same sort of info returned
> by your getVolumeInfo method.
> That being said, I don't want you to think you're limited to those two
> methods.  We can have more methods, just as long as those two are
> defined.
> What do folks think?
> Dan
Why do you think we should emulate Mike's filesystem API ?
How about giving Mike a chance to emulate windows filesystem?

Anyway, my work is just a porting of Perl module and it should stop here.
You can modify,reimplement, rename or even drop my work.
I have enjoyed myself with Ruby, C, Ruby/DL,OLE and WMI stuffs :)